I almost made this post today (Monday, May 20th), but by the time this post goes live, I’ll be less than 24 hours from my “Jordan Year” a.k.a my 23rd year of living, breathing, and thriving.
This may, unfortunately, be my last year residing in beautiful Rhode Island as I do plan on (hopefully) moving back to Massachusetts for law school, and I am finishing my last year at RWU.
I made a post similar to this last year, but I thought I’d do it again because… duh, it’s my life and I think I’m rather good at giving advice if I do say so myself. I was looking back on For The Girl About To Turn 21 | Moving Onto 22, and I just say, “damn how I’ve grown.”
So here’s to the girl about to turn 22 years old, this is for you:
- No matter if you’re graduating on time, or later than you expected, either is okay.
- Going along with that, don’t stress if you’re not graduating on time. Life happens/happened!
- Do NOT compare yourself. I’m not going to write that overly quoted phrase by whomever because EVERYONE knows what I’m talking about.
- There are people who are going to try to bring you down. Don’t listen to them.
- Also going along with that, there will be people who try to punish you for their personal B.S. Just know that you did nothing wrong.
- Do NOT be afraid to stand up for yourself and speak your mind when needed. If you feel that something is unjust, do something about it.
- It’s okay not to have a “cool job” over the summer, especially if you just graduated. I mean, hey, my mom waitressed for a year prior to getting her Master’s (and she really is the boss).
- You will find out what you want to do with your life. TRUST ME.
- Take your mom’s advice about self-defense and being safe. In fact, just listen to your mom. Period.
- If you’re going to argue something, be 110% prepared and know your facts.
- With that being said, don’t just be “opinionated.” You can’t call it an opinion if it’s not backed up with confidence and FACT. Don’t mistake confidence for arrogance and ignorance.
- Don’t be afraid to dip your toes into something new.
- Don’t give into peer pressure nor should you be easily swayed.
- If you know, you know. No one’s going to know what’s better for you than you.
- It’s not easy being positive all the time. You have to give yourself a break and shed a tear or a couple hundred.
- All families are dysfunctional. Yours is not the model of all things dysfunctional.
- You WILL realize that you have way too much respect for yourself to be treated as less than you are.
- Listen to your heart, except if you’ve been drinking. Your drunk self has no common sense.
- A thesis isn’t that bad, and I’m saying that as someone who already wrote theirs.
- Indulge in your creative side more.
- Please do yourself a favor and watch Grey’s Anatomy.
- Don’t be afraid to go back to your roots, even if you haven’t particularly missed them. Confront them.
Now, I officially welcome you all into my 23rd year! 🥂
4 thoughts on “For the Girl About to Turn 22 | Welcome to My Jordan Year (23)”