I know I’ve been MIA on the blog recently and I am sorrrryyyy. But I have been working and doing some rearrangements and rebranding to my business, “Brownies For Breakfast.” I’ve come to the realization that I love a good cup of coffee and, of course, writing. I used to think of writing as something that made me sad. But in fact, storytelling is my favorite thing to do, especially on social media. Why not combine the two!? It’s a sad fact of life when you’ve painted over a perfectly carved statue in the raw. Feel free to quote me on that.
I came across an Instagram post that had the caption of a Dorothy Day quote. I remember when I tried to start a “Dorothy Day Collective” on my former alma mater’s campus. Years later, after I transferred, I talked to someone and she said “perhaps people didn’t understand what it was you were doing.” Oddly enough, Dorothy Day had the same experience when she founded the Catholic Worker Movement.
With my business and writing on the brain recently, nonetheless Dorothy Day, I compiled a list of Dorothy Day quotes that hopefully will inspire my fellow entrepreneurs to keep going.
- “The greatest challenge of the day is: how to bring about a revolution of the heart, a revolution which has to start with each one of us?”
- “We have all known the long loneliness and we have learned that the only solution is love and that love comes with community.”
- “Don’t worry about being effective. Just concentrate on being faithful to the truth.”
- “Our problems stem from our acceptance of this filthy, rotten system.”
- “There is plenty to do, for each one of us, working on our own hearts, changing our own attitudes, in our own neighborhoods.”
- “I do not know how to love God except by loving the poor. I do not know how to serve God except by serving the poor…. Here, within this great city of nine million people, we must, in this neighborhood, on this street, in this parish, regain a sense of community which is the basis for peace in the world.”
- “Turn off your radio. Put away your daily paper. Read one review of events a week and spend some time reading good books. They tell too of days of striving and of strife. They are of other centuries and also of our own. They make us realize that all times are perilous, that men live in a dangerous world, in peril constantly of losing or maiming soul and body. We get some sense of perspective reading such books. Renewed courage and faith and even joy to live.”
- “The biggest mistake sometimes is to play things very safe in this life and end up being moral failures.”
- “You can spend your time agonizing or organizing.”
- “You will know your vocation by the joy that it brings you. You will know. You will know when it’s right.”
2 thoughts on “10 Dorothy Day Quotes For Business Owners and Entrepreneurs”