On this Friday, I woke up feeling like a Spring Chicken. By that I mean, if you read my previous post, I’m feeling more motivated than I have been for the past couple of weeks. I woke up at 5:00 a.m. (unintentionally — my melatonin must’ve worn off by then), took a shower and watched Sex and the City reruns on E! I made myself a nutritious breakfast consisting of two eggs over easy, a small whole wheat waffle, and berries. You have to make sure your plate is colorful! That’s why, for lunch, I ordered sweet potatoes in my spinach and romaine salad. You gotta have antioxidants in your diet!
I’m sure many of us are ballin’ on a budget, so without further ado, here are some ways you can indulge in self-care without breaking your bank account:
- Take a shower!
- Put on makeup!
- Paint your own nails!
- Write down everything that you are grateful for!
- DRINK WATER!!!!
- Eat healthy!
- Take your medications! (if applicable)
- Take vitamins!
- Sit down and have a cup of coffee or tea!
- Take a nap if you feel tired!
- Watch a comfort movie!
Okay, maybe you can treat yourself to online shopping, but just be frugal about it!
Happy self-care day, whenever that may be for you. Try to have one at least once a week, or make time every night after you get home from work. You can’t just not take care of yourself, am I right!?
Taking a break from writing a paper, and currently wrapped up in the stress of finals week. Finals week can be tough, especially when there’s a lot to do. I only have two written finals, but this paper for African Literature has my eyes red and puffy and my stomach in knots. I feel like that acne commercial with Emma Roberts: “I stress out then I break out… then I stress out even more!” Unintentionally said finals week can make your skin break out like no other. 🎶So, you better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout I’m telling you why: FINALS WEEK IS GOING TO BE OKAY!🎶
- Let it all out when you need to do so. By that, I mean cry. Crying is healthy. It doesn’t help when it’s all bottled up.
- Don’t leave things to the last minute.
- Drink WATER 💦 no one can live on just coffee.
- With that being said, eat your nutrients. I’m not talking about fatty foods but get some stirfry, eggs, or sushi. Don’t skip a meal — it’s not good for you!
- Book a meeting with your therapist or counselor, if you have one.
- If you have a job on campus, I’m sure your supervisor won’t mind if you take an hour off to do final projects.
- Take your medications and/or vitamins.
- Go to your school’s tutoring center if you have last-minute finals questions.
- Take Reading Days to your full advantage and STUDY.
- Take care of your skin. I use KORRES Wild Rose Vitamin C Brightening Sleeping Facial.
- Clear a little space in your dorm/room/apartment (no matter where you live while going to school). Studies have shown that having a cluttered room increases anxiety.
- Reward yourself with a glass of white/red wine after finals, a day with your sweetheart, or a much-needed nap. You deserve it all!
If you’re stressing about grades, just know that they really are just grades, but you WILL pass finals, I garauntee you.
Here’s some inspirational quotes that’ll hopefully lift your spirits: